Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Backyard Birds

Design - "Backyard Birds"
Designer- La-D-Da
Fabric - 32 count R & R LA-D-Da Brown linen
Fibers - ???
Started - 1 September 2009
Completed -16 September 2009

So here's a flashback - I can't believe that I completed a large sampler in just a couple of weeks - wow! 

Who is in my backyard this week?

I'm glad you asked!

I have a female Hairy Woodpecker coming by.

Good to have you back again girl.

And the male Hairy Woodpecker comes by too.

He is often one of the last birds in the evening and he gets mad at me if I've already picked up the suet feeders for the day.

Sorry dude, I can't always wait for you!

My woodpecker surprise though, was to have a Red-breasted Sapsucker come to a suet feeder.

That's never happened before.

I see and hear the Sapsuckers on trees drilling their wells, but do not recall them coming to my feeders before.

This is probably a one-off experience.

You can come back, you know.

The Acorn Woodpeckers are peanut gluttons right now. 

Here's Junior...

and here's is Papa. I've had all three birds at the feeders at the same time, but no photos to document.

Lots of Flicker action this time of year.

The guys are posing and posturing as part of their courting. 

See how handsome I am? 

I don't think that she looks very impressed.

The males are also very talkative, "Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!" 

And again!

Here's a size comparison with an Evening Grosbeak.

I had a Pileated Woodpecker fly though the backyard - that was awesome!

5 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Love your bird stitch from the past, Beth! What a handsome fellow that Red-breasted Sapsucker is! Great pictures you shared today!

Vickie said...

I have never seen that sampler before. Love the looks of it.

Barb said...

That sampler is so pretty as are all the woodpeckers!!

Pondside said...

I've always liked the Flickers a lot. They are so shy and it is such a thrill when they stick around.

Carol said...

I think I was a faster stitcher way back then, too, Beth :) Have definitely slowed down throughout the years. That is a very pretty sampler. And what great bird photos--the red in them is just so striking!