Friday, January 5, 2018

A Birding Bonanza

Design - "Oh Deer Winter"
Designer - Deb Jochim of The Stitching Bear
Distributor - Punch Needle Primitive Stitchers Magazine
Fabric - 32 count Toasted Coconut Dixie Samplers linen
Fibers - 
Started - December 2016
Completed - 30 December 2017

I ordered this chart directly from Punch Needle Primitive Stitchers Magazine.  Here's the link.  I changed the wreath from yellow berries to red berries, and left off some rusty bells as I did not want to chance staining the fabric. I'm quite happy with it.

As you are all well aware, feeding and observing birds is one of the joys in my life.  Many of the gifts I received for Christmas acknowledge this.

A small bird observation journal.

A five-year natural world observation notebook.

Cedar Waxwing earrings.

British songbird stamps.

Snowy Owl tile.

Cedar Waxwing tile.

Bird feeder ornament.  This is from my Michigan cousin and showcases two of her favorite backyard birds - a cardinal and a goldfinch.  Another cousin made bird food wreaths using small bundt molds - my birds devoured it!  

Lots of great gifts!  In the interests of transparency I should share with you that in November I began working for my local Wild Birds Unlimited store.  I'd been a regular customer since the store opened in April 2013 and thought I'd enjoy working there.  It's been an adventure with a steep and fast learning curve!  I'm still in my 90 day probationary period with a couple of tests I need to take.  So far I'm really enjoying interacting with the customers.  We help all levels of birders - from those setting out their first feeder, to folks who have been feeding their birds for decades.  Any birding advise I give on this blog will generally reflect my own backyard experiences with the addition of advise I've learned through my work.  If I 'promote' a WBU feeder or other product I will make it clear that I do so because I've used it and it works, not just because I work there.  Hope this is acceptable to all.

8 comments:

Mary said...

Beth, YOur stitch is charming and I much prefer red berries on the wreath.

What wonderful gifts you received!! I just ordered 2 of the 5 year Naturalist books from Amazon after seeing yours...I'm looking forward to hearing about your recommendations from WBU store. You will be an asset to the store with your knowledge and also a great learning experience. I enjoy your blog twofold, the stitching and the birding knowledge I learn from you. Enjoy your new position, I think it's a perfect match!

Robin in Virginia said...

What fabulous birding and nature gifts you received, Beth! I love your stitched finish especially the deer and cardinal. Great colors as well! I hope you are enjoying your time at WBU; I bet you are a real asset. Enjoy your weekend!

Daniela Bencúrová said...

° 。 ° ˚* _Π_____*。*˚★ 。* 。*。 • ˚ ˚ •。★
˚ ˛ •˛•*/______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛★ 。* 。*★ 。* 。*
˚ ˛ •˛• | 田田|門| HAPPY NEW YEAR 2018.

Carol said...

How perfect that you've become an employee at WBU, Beth!! Now I can really get expert advice :) You'll really enjoy it as your customers are all fellow bird-lovers like yourself!

Love your newest finish and I like your changes. I worry about the rusty bells, too. When I store the ornaments that I have added them to on the cording, I always wrap a tissue around them so they won't be touching the fabrics while in storage. So far, so good.

Barb said...

What a wonderful stitched design! I love the colors you chose. Best wishes on your new career! I imagine you are a huge help to many customers!! Your gifts are lovely. The people who gave them to you seem to know you well!

butterfly said...

Love your Christmas stitching .
I love birds too , and spend lots of time watching and feeding my birds in the garden.

Anna van Schurman said...

Your stitching is cute. I really like those tiles. I think you found the perfect job, and I don't think anyone should mind if you offer your advice to us.

RJ said...

Congratulations Beth you are the perfect person for your new job. I know you will enjoy it. I loved all of your gifts...so thoughtful and they know you so, so well. RJ