Tuesday, June 20, 2017

They're Back If Only For a Day

Design - "Bee Ye Humble"
Designer - Pine Mountain Designs
Fabric - 32 count Wichelt linen
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 4 June 2012
Completed - 7 June 2012

This kit came with a tuck pillow, creating an Instant Finish!  

Besides cross stitch, the design used Satin, Herringbone, and Double Leviathan stitches.
I hope to have a new stitch to share with you later this week.


Over the weekend, I heard baby 'chirp, chirp' chirping from three of the Violet-green Swallow houses including this one. 

I thought it was interesting that three sets of eggs all hatched within 24 hours of each other.

This is the third house with babies. I have a couple of more active houses to check on. With hatchlings the adult Violet-green Swallows are much, much more active - flying about snapping flying insects from dawn to dusk. 

Also over the weekend, I had a visit from a pair of Tree Swallows.

The birds 'co-mingled' and 'talked' with the Violet-green Swallows.

I think there were territorial disputes going on.

I still have several empty birdhouses, and it's not yet too to build a nest and raise a family.

I love the liquid gurgling sounds the Tree Swallows make.

Plus, how can you top their iridescent blue feathers? 

Handsome birds...

..and graceful fliers.
Thanks for stopping by.

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Very cool! Do you have to clean out the birdhouses once they are vacated?

RJ said...

I love your bee stitch and how you finished it. I have to look into getting that one.

You have the most delightful selection of birds by you. I'm amazed each time I come here at your photos. Great job once again capturing such amazing creatures. RJ @ stitching friends forever

deb said...

The bee piece is such a happy piece! The bees themselves are ... black snaps? Love the added specialty stitches.

The tree swallows have such interesting coloring - their bellies look quite white, such a sharp contract to their heads and backs.

Mary said...

Beautiful tree swallows...do you feed the birds during the summer also? You get such a great variety. I would love to attract more birds with feeders but they attract bears here also and I don't want to do that. Lovely photos!

Barb said...

Those tree swallows are beautiful!

Angie said...

Your cross-stitch immediately reminded me of the country music song "Always be humble and kind" performed by Tim McGraw. A reminder to us all!

Maggee said...

Nicely stitched piece! Babies!! I look forward to seeing fledgling shots in a while...when they are old enough to start demanding food and hanging out to tell the folks to hurry up with their orders!! ha!