Monday, August 15, 2016

August Stitch - August Birds

 
Design - "Monthly Mania - August"
Designer - Heart in Hand
Fabric - 32 count Summer Khaki linen
Fibers - WDW - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 8 August 2016
Completed - 11 August 2016

I am really enjoying stitching August themed pieces. Love this little lighthouse with the blue waves in the background.

And now for my August birds...

I know lots some of you do not much care for Turkey Vultures. 

And I will not discuss why they were lurking by the side of the road across from my sister's dahlia garden, except to say that unlike raptors, they do not kill their food, but only find and eat creatures that are already dead.   

We came upon a group of six or so birds.

I do agree that they have a most 'unique' looking face!

On to a prettier bird!  See the yellow blob on the left?

Here's a better photos of a male Wilson's Warbler that I saw while taking a walk. 

I also saw a flycatcher of some sort.

But best of all, I stumbled across a group of Cedar Waxwings feeding their newly fledged young.  Like so many awkward teenagers, young Cedar Waxiwings are not particularly handsome birds.  To the left of the bird's beak, you can see the iconic yellow-tipped tail feathers of a mature bird.  



7 comments:

Vickie said...

Oh man. Your August stitch is so soothing and calm, and then whamo! YUCK ;) a vulture. phooey!

deb said...

I like your lighthouse and the blue overdyed border is such a pretty color.

Ah yes, turkey vultures - the first time I saw them up close I nearly ran off the road gaping at their unusual faces. Luckily I was driving on a fairly wide secondary road - three or four of them were breakfasting in the oncoming lane. Was also surprised at how huge those guys are!

Anna van Schurman said...

You remind me that I've stitched that August piece. All those months. I guess I should DO something with them! Always enjoy learning about birds here--even the less savory ones!

Maggee said...

Love that Lighthouse piece!! It is very cute!! My mind went to reasons for the vultures to be there, unfortunately... :( They are definitely ugly! But they are not like eagles and hawks, true... they find already dead carcasses to devour. The Wilson's black spot on the top of its head is very distinctive. And I really like seeing the juvie Cedar Waxwing! This year is my first year seeing them, but in late winter/early spring there were no babies yet! Hugs!

Carol said...

Yikes--those turkey vultures have a face only a mother could love!! Thank you for including the pretty birds in your post, too, Beth, along with your pretty stitching--the lighthouse is so cute!

Susan said...

I love vultures! They are Mother Nature's clean-up squad and they do a wonderful job.

Barb said...

I really like that little lighthouse piece. Some summer I should concentrate on stitching lighthouses. That turkey vulture was quite interesting looking.