Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Young Birds and a New Bird

Design - "I Love the USA"
Chart - "Red White and Blue"
Fabric - 28 count Light Mocha Cashel 
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 4 July 2016
Completed - 5 July 2016

Another older chart - I'm into simple patriot stitches I guess.

The other morning Parvati was quite convinced there was a chipmunk in the woodpile.

She kept watch for a good 30 minutes.

I watched the swallows mob a Cooper's Hawk.
If you enlarge the photo you can see the swallow on the left edge. 

There were half a dozen swallows and they successful drove off the hawk.

This is the time of year for newly fledged birds.
They are often extra-fluffy and not terribly attractive like this Black-headed Grosbeak.

They still aren't the best fliers either!

Last Wednesday I was thrilled to have a female Bullock's Oriole come by.

Now I've seen a first year male, a mature male, and a female Bullock's Oriole.

She is pretty it a quiet way - about the same size as the Black-headed Grosbeaks, but slimmer.

I wonder if there is a nest somewhere close by.

You won't tell me, will you?

6 comments:

Vickie said...

I find the colors of that little female so very pretty Beth.

Maggee said...

It is so very exciting to see a new bird, isn't it! Congrats! And I love that CB chart too! Very nice! Hugs!

Barb said...

That little female is so pretty in a subtle way. I love the patriotic piece!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Yes i also love to see the newly fledged birds.Lovely shots.

krayolakris said...

So pretty! Thx for sharing! Oh, my male cat stared down a small dust bunny under the sofa for at least 30 minutes!

A Colorful World said...

Great birds! Enjoyed the post!