Monday, July 25, 2016

A Happy Surprise

Look what I got!  My aunt gifted me with these four Needle Books.
Aren't they great?  


The two Ravens came for a visit.

I had the briefest of sightings of a male Western Tanager.

The same goes with this female Evening Grosbeak.

I was pleased to see a White-crowned Sparrow after a hiatus of a couple of months.

Then I realized that the poor bird was raising a Brown-headed Cowbird. 

Historically Cowbirds followed the herds of buffalo.  Thus they were not stationary and not able to raise their young.  They became parasitic and laid their eggs in the nests of other birds - removing the original egs.   

This duo has been coming around for about a week now.
The Cowbird has grown so much in that time.

Come on Sparrow, tell the baby that enough is enough!

Truly, he can fend for himself now.

You are looking a bit fed up, so cut the apron strings!

6 comments:

DD Revia said...

He should be feeding her! Lol. The things we do for our children heheeee

DD Revia said...

He should be feeding her! Lol. The things we do for our children heheeee

Barb said...

Those little needle books are wonderful! Lucky you! That Western Tanager is beautiful.

Le trame della Galaverna said...

Beautiful gifts

deb said...

Those needlebooks are wonderful - looks like they're all in great condition! I have the upper left one myself - 'twas my mother's - but I think it has only about three needles left on the little foil pages now.

Maggee said...

I remember seeing little needlebooks with foil inside them! Very nice! Love the Tanager's colors, and I agree that the cowbird has to go!!