Thursday, May 19, 2016

New Start New Spring Bird

Now that I've finished the Black-headed Grosbeak, it's time to start stitching the Mourning Doves.  I am impatiently awaiting Beth Twist's release of her next three charted birds.

I got pretty excited on Saturday...

..because I saw and heard a group of Cedar Waxwings.

They flocked atop a couple of Douglas fir trees, but did not come in close.

Until Monday!  When two handsome gentleman came to the berm in the backyard.

That made my birding morning for sure.

There's something about a Cedar Waxwing that is tough to top.

Looking closely, you can see the bird on the left has something in his beak.  My theory is that they are eating ripe Osoberries as well as other early fruit.

11 comments:

Vickie said...

I agree! They are just awesome.

Amy said...

Wow, those are strikingly lovely birds!

I'm enjoying your Spring stitching as well!

CalamityJr said...

They are handsome fellas! I love the floss throw for your mourning doves; that's going to be lovely.

Le trame della Galaverna said...

I look forward to see the new stitching progress

Margaret said...

They are beautiful! I love their looks so much. Loved that grosbeak finish of yours, and the new start will be amazing too!

MaryO said...

So beautiful!

Wanda said...

What absolutely incredible pictures of the Cedar Waxwings!

Barb said...

I just love those birds! Have you seen the chart for them on "Not Forgotten Farm?" It is very pretty. I have thought about buying the chart as we never seem to see those birds!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi, just loved your garden tour. What a lot of beautiful growth you will get to document and enjoy. We have Cedar Waxwings here in Ontario too and three summers ago I had to rescue two hatchlings. Mother had nested in our backyard lilac tree and had disappeared; we kept a close eye, tried to feed the babies in the nest ourselves and finally made the decision to take them to the Wildbird Sanctuary we have here. They were given numbers and later I was informed of the date of their release into the wild as well they posted a little video of the moment of their release. It was the summer of a drought and they had about a hundred of these beautiful little fellows to care for. Now one of my favourite charities.
I will be looking for that NotForgotten Farm chart; thanks Barb.

Maggee said...

Mourning Doves is going to be a pretty one too! I am also wondering about the next batch of charts! I saw Cedar Waxwings for the first time this year, and love them! Not around anymore, and I see that the one neighbor whose tree they loved has cut half of it out! Disappointed to say the least, but I can always travel around to find them. Thanks for sharing as always!

MelissaD said...

I love their black masks...makes them look like the super heroes of the garden.