Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Follow the Swallow

Two weeks in a row I've dedicated Wednesday to stitching on this WIP.  Once again good progress. Four more shamrocks and the word 'Luck'. If I can continue to use Wednesday this way, I'll get some of my larger WIPs finished after languishing for months.   

I haven't reported on my swallows for a while.
I do love the bright blue of the Tree Swallows and the liquid sounds they make.

The Tree Swallows used this house last year.

They occupied it again this year and built their nest.

Mama has been sitting on eggs for a while now, and as of Monday we heard the high chirping of babies!  Now both parents are busy flying in and out of the nest feeding the hungry hatchlings. 

I had a second pair of Tree Swallows looking at this hose, but I'm not sure that it has been 'rented'.

I think there are at least four pairs of Violet-Green Swallows.
This fellow is looking down at...

...his mate who was house-hunting.
This house has been 'taken' by a pair of birds.

This house also occupants.  

The nest is built - there are bits of straw sticking out from the bottom of the house. 

Violet-green Swallows are in the nest-building stage at this house. 

The Swallow had a wonderfully large white feather to add to the nest.

But had a heck of a time figuring out how to get the feather in the house.  He dropped it at least two times and had to battle other swallows to retain possession.

I was pleased and relieved when the bird, and the feather made it safely inside the bird house.

8 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, cute post on the Swallows. They are sweet birds.

Have a happy day and week ahead!

Findlay Wilde said...

Fantastic blog about your Swallows. Our Swallows have been feeding over the back field today. Very distracting when I should be revising for some exams next week.

Adam Jones said...

Superb blue sheen on these birds.

Gayle said...

I listen to these beauties at the lake. You made the perfect description of their song - 'liquid'.

Janice said...

What a nice series!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

So happy you have swallows. They say the numbers of barn and cliff swallows are way down here in Canada. Interesting houses you are renting out. Love the photos.

Neil said...

Great to be able to keep a eye on all the coming and going of the birds.

Maggee said...

What a fun post! I enjoyed seeing the swallows in Tennessee... We have a Robin sitting on her nest upstairs on our porch light... can't wait to hear the chirps of babies! We also had a Carolina wren start to build a nest on the bottom of the porch landing, but because we are in and out around there all the time, it was not occupied after all... I do wonder where they ended up, because I have seen 5 babies at one time in the neighbor's tree, and I have had one or two visit my feeder... real little ones! Loving that! Hugs!