Friday, March 4, 2016

Friday Finish and Wednesday Bird

Design - "2012 Collector's Heart"
Designer - Heart in Hand
Fabric - 32 count Amber linen
Fibers - GAST & WDW - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 16 February 2016
Completed - 29 February 2016

As promised I used my 'extra' day (February 29th) to finish up this stitch. 
I'm a fan of pinks and browns in combination.

Speaking of browns...

On Wednesday was I delighted and surprised to see a male Rufous Hummingbird.

Rufous Hummingbirds are spring / summer visitors here.

The mature males arrive first and stake out their territory.

This guy hung out in the backyard.

Did you know that they can scratch an itch like a dog does with their feet?

This guy was wonderfully good about posing for me.
He certainly is handsome.

And the light was great to catch the shining feathers.

Otherwise, he just looks like a study in browns.

I did not see him on Thursday, so maybe he just stopped off for a couple of hours break before continuing his migration further north.  

I did see my male Anna's Hummingbird yesterday.  You can see he is very different looking than the Rufous.

8 comments:

Vickie said...

Love Struck is great! I love the brown pink combinations very much also.

Maggee said...

I am also a fan of pink and brown stitching! In fact, I put some threads together for two small projects, and showed them to my stitching buddy, who loved them. Gave her the charts, cause I have them saved in a folder... HOWever, I cannot find them now! And I am in the mood to stitch them!! Dang! Love seeing the hummers, but a Rufous is quite a find this early! Yay!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your bird photos are amazing. We started feeding the birds this year and have had dozens of cardinals. (We are also feeding the squirrels) Will be purchasing a bird bath for the back yard so they can have a swimming pool for the summer

Justine said...

Another fan of pink and brown here! Such a classic combination. Your male Rufus is very handsome.

Barb said...

Your Valentine project looks very pretty. I think the color on the Rufous is beautiful. Last year we didn't get very many of them. A few years ago, we got more. I hope this year brings more of them to our feeder. I do love the photos. As I said before, you could enter them in competition! I think you would win!

Frances said...

That is a very cute finish!
I think the hummingbirds we see here are more like the Anna--at least the colors are.
The Rufous is very pretty, too. I love the lime-looking iridescent feathers!

Margaret said...

What great pictures! My favorite -- hummers! Rufous and Anas look so different!

Le trame della Galaverna said...

Very beautiful birds
And pretty stitch