Thursday, September 25, 2014

Cats and Birds

 
 I am working away on a Prairie Schooler primitive cat.  I should have it done in the next day or two.

I decided to 'tidy up' the feeders at the front of the house. 

So I bought this pole system which supports four feeders plus an extra small 'bark butter' feeder. This is a good illustration of 'perfect placement' for a feeder.  It is placed close enough to the window so the birds will not fly into it.  The fountain has water to drink and bath. The plants in the back give shelter - a hiding place for ground feeders. The tree to the left provides protection and a place for waiting birds to perch.

I bought this pole system which supports four feeders plus an extra small 'bark butter' feeder.  I can change them around and bring others in as the seasons and eating habits of the birds change. This is the view from inside the house. While I can see these feeders sitting on the Front Porch, I probably watch them more often while inside the house.  

We had a small Sharp-shinned Hawk come by.

A very small hawk - see the Flicker to the right.

Same hawk with a Steller's Jay getting ready to run it off.

I know I said that I thought the Waxwings and mostly departed.

Turns out I was wrong and Tuesday they settled for a bit in the trees near the front of the house.

I was able to get quite close to the birds.

The light was not the best for photos.

I have to wonder how long they'll have their headquarters here. 

It's officially Autumn.
The first "V" of geese flew high overhead Tuesday morning heading south.

9 comments:

Annette-California said...

Beautiful to see a small hawk and great new feeder poll. Lovely stitching. as I'm writing you we are having our first rain. Looks like Autumn has arrived for us:) Yea!!! love Annette

Frances said...

I love to see geese in a V! So pretty and I love their honking sound!
I also love anything Prairie Schooler! Cute kitty! Your stitching is always lovely!

wenhkc said...

I live in too urban an area to see many bird varieties, so I enjoy seeing your photos, birds and stitching, and cats. The geese live in my area year-round. This started a little over a decade ago. I'm guessing a few flocks were heading norther, spotted the green of the golf course and the lagoons meandering among some of our homes, and decided this was a good rest stop. Then decided it was a good place to live. I'll see a V once in a while when flocks move from the middle school lawn to the golf course, to the lagoons. I love hearing their honking as they fly.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

That's a great cat! I know just what you mean about seeing geese. I always think autumn when I see them flying in formation like that.

Carol said...

Such a cute WIP, Beth. And I love your new pole bird feeder system... I think our pole feeder (we just have a double) is too close to our window--may have to move it out a couple of feet. How far from the house is yours?

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Great new feeder system, that type is very popular over here too. As you know Beth, I love to see the geese fly over.

Barb said...

What a great system for feeding the birds. I love that you can watch form inside and they won't fly in to the glass.

cucki said...

cats and birds..both are my fav :)
sweet hugs x

Margaret said...

Love that cat stitch! The hawk really is a small one, isn't it? Love seeing your new pole system for the feeders. It's nice to see where you get your bird feeder pics from and now I will know!