Wednesday, May 14, 2014

White Rabbit, Green Growth, Full Moon

Design - "Ribbony Rabbit"
Chart - "Letters Part 3"
Designer - The Cricket Collection
Fabric - 28 count R & R Old Mill Java
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 8 May 2014
Completed -  10 May 2014

Grrr - French knot eyes - not of equal size.  Must redo!

What a lovely day! I can't believe how much has changed in the week that I've been gone.  Mid-May is a thousand shades of green and lush with exuberant growth. Let's go take a look.


Case in point! The Cow Parsnip (Heracleum maximum)blossom appears to explode out of the stalk.

Sweet tiny wildflowers fight their way out of a tangle of green. These are called Western Spring Beauty (Claytonia lanceolata).

The Oaks have leafed out in the past week. 

I like the contrast of the red 'whirly-gig' seeds of the Vine Maple with the bright green of the leaves.

The sides of the Big Creek are full of Chockcherry (Prunus virginiana), not surprising as the plant prefers to grow along side streams. Here's a list of critters that eat the fruit: Robins, thrushes, grosbeaks, woodpeckers, jays, bluebirds, catbirds, kingbirds, and grouse eat chokecherries, and so do mice, voles, chipmunks, squirrels, skunks, foxes, deer, bear, and moose. I'll have to keep an eye out in the fall when the berries are ripe and see who is partaking of the feast.

This is our native Red Columbine (Aquilegia formosa). It pollinated by both bees and hummingbirds.

The bright green new growth glows on the Douglas Fir trees. 

Sky Blue and Ash Green - a great combination. 

Small fuchsia pink wild peas dot the green of the meadows. 

I can't get enough of Menzie's Larkspur (Delphinium menziesii). Periwinkle blue sings to my soul.

In the deep shade I found a couple of small patches of Sweet Woodruff (Galium odoratum).

Our young pine trees have enough handsome 'candles' to celebration most anyone's birthday!  

The Big Leaf Maples are all leafed out now and the seeds are a favorite of a number of different birds. 

This shrub continues to baffle me.  In past years I've said it is Ocean Spray (Holodiscus discolor), but now I've decided it is something else entirely.  Further research needed!
UPDATED:
This tree is called Buck Brush, Oregon Tea Tree or Redstem Ceanothus (Ceanothus sanguineus). It can be found in open woods and thickets. It often lives in well-drained, stony to gravelly soils which have been recently disturbed by fire. It grows in areas with Douglas maple, hazel, ocean spray, serviceberry and snowbrush - all of which I have!   


I've decided we have Tolmie's Mariposa Lily (Calochortus tolmiei) and Elegant Cat's Ears (Calochortus elegansgrowing in the same areas. Above is a photo of the Mariposa Lily - three creamy colored petals.  

Here's one of my favorite wildflowers - the aptly named Elegant Cat's Ear (Calochortus elegans).  Again three petals - but a different shape and with purple spots. I am in awe of the complex textures of this wildflower. I'd not paid close enough attention in past years to notice the differences and thought them all Cat's Ears.

Slowly, slowly we are getting more and more of both kinds of plants in our grassy hillside meadows.

Wow!  That turned out to be a long walk.
The May full moon - The Full Flower Moon is slowly rising in the sky.
Time to head back inside.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh I enjoyed that excursion in your woods! Those last two white flowers are amazing! And that full moon...!

The bunny finish is cute!

dixiesamplar said...

Adorable finish, lovely walk, and a beautiful moon...thanks for the share Beth :-)

Bianca said...

I wouldn't have noticed the eyes if you hadn't mentioned them. Even now that it's pointed out, I think it just adds to the hand made charm. The Mariposa Lily and Cat's Ears are so pretty; I've never seen them before...but I guess that's not surprising coming from the Las Vegas desert, lol.

cucki said...

Sweet finish and lovely walk
Hugs x

Barb said...

So many beautiful flowers. Thanks for sharing them. I won't be going for my wild flower walks till probably mid-summer so I love your walks. The rabbit is so cute. I love the colors. Sometimes french knots can drive you crazy.

Pam in IL said...

Thanks for a great walk -- I needed it. Thanks also for the full moon. I had to go look at the calendar to see if it really was a full moon, lol. We've had rain since Sunday so we haven't seen the moon.

Margaret said...

It always amazes me how fast everything changes this time of year in nature. Everything sprouting and growing and blooming. I can't keep up! Such pretty loveliness around you!

Wanda said...

Beth, the cat's ear is amazing! Great shot of the moon! Your rabbit is so cute. (also love your Cottage Garden Sampling's August's Poppy). Welcome home!

Melody said...

What interesting plants, and pretty too. The picture of the moon is beautiful. Guess I need to take a look at it tonight if it isn't clouded over.

Maggee said...

That full moon woke me up at around 2:30 or 3:30 because the birds started chirping--it was like daylight! I now notice the sun is coming up at 5:40ish...again, because of the light, the birds wake me! Oh well, then it's just earlier to bed. Enjoyed the walk!

Melanie said...

Cute bunny!!!!!!!! :)