Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pink Tulip and Green Forest

Design - "Pink Tulip"
Designer - Stone & Thread
Fabric - 32 count Light Mocha Belfast linen
Fibers - GAST & WDW - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 24 March 2014
Completed - 24 March 2014

The weather has turned rainy and blustery and cold.
Padma thinks we should have an Indoor Day!
   
I agree with Padma.  So let's take a walk back in time and see what was at its prime on a sunny day this past week.

First up is my Mystery Tree.  
It is growing on a steep brush-filled bank, so I've not been able to examine it closely.  I am enjoying its bright green leaves and brick red bark from afar.  

I am also enjoying watching the Cottonwoods leaf out.

They light up the Douglas Fir forest like chartreuse beacons. 

This part of the Big Creek is about 1/2 mile from my house.  I like the wide 
U-curve the creek takes around the trees.

I featured one of my 'store bought' Bleeding Hearts a couple of days ago. This is our native Pacific Bleeding Heart (Dicentra formosa).

The Common Horsetails (Equisetum arvense) are just beginning to push their way up out of the ground. 

Skunk Cabbage (Lysichiton americanus)!
I don't think I've ever featured this plant before.  I saw a nice big patch in a boggy spot during a recent drive. The big yellow blooms have not fully opened yet. The smell will attract all sorts of bugs who act as pollinators.

Lots of the native shrubs are now leafing out.

I stumbled across this Mystery Plant. I've marked it and I'll go back later to see if it blooms as that will help me identify it.

I don't need any help identifying the buds of a Big Leaf Maple 
(Acer macrophyllum).  The finches and grosbeaks like the flowers and buds.  I'm hoping that this signals their return to this year in the next few days!

7 comments:

cucki said...

Sweet stitching and beautiful photos xxx

backporchcarver said...

Love the skunk cabbage, brings back memories of playing in the creek when I was a kid.

Barb said...

Your wonderful walk is making me homesick! One of our favorite walks is rich with skunk cabbage. It is beautiful while blooming but does smell bad!! Our first encounter with it had us sure a skunk was nearby!

Margaret said...

Ah, a lovely indoor day for the cats. I can't believe how far along you are with spring growth. Wow!

Melody said...

How cool that you have a native bleeding heart! Do the flowers resemble the ones we buy and plant? I miss mine, I used to have a large one, but alas it died a few years back. I need to replace it!! The creek looks inviting. I agree, I like the bend it makes.

Pam in IL said...

Another great walk with lots of green! And the pink tulip, well you know how I love pink!

Maggee said...

Great nature walk. Do not believe you introduced us to Skunk Cabbage before! You have so many interesting plants in your area!