Thursday, December 26, 2013

Thursday - Black Phoebe

Earlier this week on a semi-sunny later December afternoon, I heard a 'different' bit of bird song.  When I looked around I saw this Black Phoebe. Phoebes are flycatchers whose preferred habit is near water.  I guess our two small creeks allow our property to marginally qualify.  

Phoebes were once very rare visitors to Oregon.  In fact, if you look at the range map on All About Birds, you'll see that they are not even supposed to be in the state.  In the past 10 years, despite what the range map says, they have become frequent visitors to the Willamette Valley.

This is the second year a Phoebe has made an appearance. It is small dapper bird with a mini-Mohawk feathered head like the Steller's Jays. 

I've yet to see more than one bird though.


Seeing my Phoebe merrily singing (see the 'Typical Voice' on All About Birds) on a sunny December day helped me get over my current Avian Illness - Varied Thrush Envy! I usually have one or two Thrush hanging about with the Robins in the Winter months, but so far no sightings.
Barb over at The Wicked Stitcher ,however, has a Thrush or two.  She's taken a couple of wonderful pictures. Check them out!

10 comments:

Bianca said...

What a cute little bird; I love the name too!

Melissa said...

Such a cute little bird! You did great with the photos too!

krayolakris said...

A single phoebe visits me for a day or two each year. Such a pretty bird!

Margaret said...

Such a pretty bird! I love his mohawk! Saw a cardinal and his mate when we stopped at our favorite restaurant on the way home from Boston, but they were much too far away for my iPhone to handle, sadly.

Barb said...

Your Phoebe is a lovely little bird! I've never seen one! Our thrush has not returned but at lest we got to see it once.

Pam in IL said...

I have bird envy too! Your Phoebe is a beauty!

Giovanna said...

What a cute little fellow. Nice snaps.

Chris said...

What a lovely visitor.

Maggee said...

Cute little birdie--love the mini Mohawk! Off to All About Birds to listen! Hugs!

MelissaD said...

Great photos :)
I'm lucky to have many Black Phoebes here in the central valley of California. We have a pond out by our barn and some water features in our yard which may help attract them. They have built their mud nest clinging to the wall of our house in our entry way for several years and I was able to watch the flying lessons for the little ones from my kitchen window. They are always chirping from garden walls or fences around here - very cute :)