Friday, November 29, 2013

Flicker Friday

It's a long holiday weekend here in the States, so I'm starting the weekend today (no cross stitching updates). Instead we will go straight to Birdland.


I think I must have 6 or eight different Flickers.

There's always one or two working on the suet or peanuts.

West of the Rocky Mountains we have Orange Shafted Flickers - the east has Yellow shafted Flickers.

The orange feathers are very prominent in this photo of a female.

Besides their work at the feeders, Flickers are frequent ground feeders.

They look rather ungainly on the ground with their broad stance.

The guys appear as cross-dressers with their bright red cheeks.

My other ground feeders include Towhees...

...and Song Sparrows.

11 comments:

Margaret said...

Just wonderful. It's like being right there!

linda said...

Great photos!

Brigitte said...

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day. Wishing you a great long weekend full of time for stitching and for taking pictures of all those lovely birds out there.

Myra said...

Your photos are amazing! Thanks for sharing them.

Bianca said...

Great pics from Birdland. I love the spots on the Flickers' chests.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I still love the flickers with the beautiful markings on their feathers. The flashes of orange are quite eye catching.

Pam in IL said...

I don't think I've ever actually seen a Flicker. You're lucky to have them visiting you.

Barb said...

Beautiful! I can't wait for the flickers to discover our suet. They seem to love it.

SewAmy said...

I love their markings, like their spotted bellies.

Catherine said...

Beautiful!

Maggee said...

I know I have never seen a flicker live and in color, except through your blog! It's almost like being there tho, cause you take great pictures! Hugs!