Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Bird Report

Design - "Little Owl" (freebie in conjunction with chart #320)
Designer - The Cricket Collection
Fabric - 30 count R & R Old Mill Java linen
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 1 October 2013
Completed - 7 October 2013

I think he is a sweet little owl with his plaid vest and tufted ears.  I'd have finished him much sooner, but I was visited by a plague of frogs.  I stitched the "O" first using DMC 3011.  Then I worked on the owl and discovered the "O" was supposed to have been stitched using DMC 3013. I thought about it a day or two, and decided to remove 3011 as it was a very dark heavy green.  Now that it is done I do prefer DMC 3011.  

The Bird Report

As I write this there is a Flicker stomping about on the roof above my head. In the spring and early summer they greet the morning and each other by pounding on our metal vents; that's our morning wake-up call..  At least this time of year they are not courting so we are spared that. My Turkey Vultures have moved on south.  I saw them on Saturday, but have not seen them since - Hasta la Vista! (as they head to Mexico).

I do see more and more Oregon Juncos as the weather gets cooler.

And we still have lots and lots of California Quail.

There are three of four smaller groups... 

...but they are not adverse to all mingling together.

The other evening the cats and I counted 24 birds in the back yard.

11 comments:

cucki said...

sweet stitches x

Margaret said...

Love your finish -- cute design and I love the colors! So many birds too! Love it!

Giovanna said...

What an adorable owl, congrats. The Junco is so pretty, and I didn't even know of its existemce until 5 minutes ago :-)

Carol said...

What a handsome little owl! It's so strange how sometimes the smallest of designs can give us so many visits from our green froggy friend, isn't it?

Love the Junco--another bird I've never seen in person... Good riddance to those turkey vultures!!

Barb said...

I love your little stitch! so cute! I never see the quail up here. Not sure why. I do love the Oregon Juncos. I see many of them in winter on my deck below the feeder.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Do all Turkey Vultures migrate? I wonder, it seems we still have gads of them all winter. But now I'm going to watch and make sure :)
Love your wee Owl!

Melanie said...

Oh no. That's a bummer that you liked the first color. Your eye must have gravitated to that color for a reason, I guess. I think it looks lovely with this color too, if that helps. :)

Andrea said...

He looks a little sweetie!

Chris said...

I love all of your stitched owls!

Melissa said...

I love that little owl!

Maggee said...

Cute owl. It would have haunted me that I had the wrong color also...it is perfect! Look at all those quail!