Saturday, October 5, 2013

All Band Together

Thursday saw some unexpected visitors to the feeders.

A female Evening Grosbeak!

And this cute downy fledgling!
This bird is a First Ever for me.
Look closely at the legs and you can see that this bird has been banded.
I wonder who applied the band (and where it was applied).

Being in England most of the spring and all of the summer I missed out on seeing the Grosbeaks.

I'm glad a couple of them decided to stop by. 

I heard two or three of the birds calling to one another Friday morning, but no one visited the feeders.

The birds hang around for a couple of days as they pass through the area during their fall migration.


4 comments:

Margaret said...

They are pretty birds! I wonder why they are called grosbeaks. Are their beaks larger than usual? So cool that one of them is banded!

Barb said...

Beth, Your feeders seem to attract the most interesting birds. Very interesting!

Pam in IL said...

Your feeders always have so much activity! Glad you got to see the Grosbeaks.

Maggee said...

Wow! I wonder too, who banded the fledgling? Interesting that you even noted that!