Sunday, May 5, 2013

This is Oregon, Right?


Earlier in the year, the National Weather Service forecast the Pacific NW to have a colder than normal Spring.  Yesterday was 83F and that is what today is supposed to be as well.  That much warmer than usual, and very un-Oregonish.

So far there have been no complaints about the sunny, warm weather from the Peanut Gallery.  

Here's the female Clownbird Acorn Woodpecker.

And here's the male Clownbird Acorn Woodpecker.
The red on their head just glows in the morning sunshine.

My Evening Grosbeak population continues to grow.  I counted four males on Saturday morning - lots of chirping and chirring.

The cats have figured out how best to spend days like these.
They bask in the early morning sunshine.

Then in the heat of the afternoon, they take shelter in the cool of the shade.  I'd advise you to do the same.

Thanks to everyone who responded re my lost key for "Botanical Sampler".  I think a solution is at hand!

6 comments:

cucki said...

Super sweet pictures..and kitty chose the perfect place to relax..
Big hugs x

Margaret said...

Interesting that it's warmer than usual when they'd predicted cooler than usual. lol! I love the shady spot for sleeping. :D Great bird pics! Saw a piece this morning on CBS Sunday Morning about all the birds. Their pics looked like yours! :D

Barb said...

Very smart cats! In my opinion, it was HOT here today. I had some washing to do on the deck and my feet were burning!! I just love that acorn woodpecker. You are lucky to have them.

Melissa said...

Awww, I love that last photo of the kitty hiding in the shade. Today our kitties were conked out by the heat too!

That woodpecker is quite stunning! Dressed for a big party!

Pam in IL said...

What is the "normal" temperature for your area this time of year? We've had much cooler than normal temps here and now all the farmers are complaining that it's been too wet and cold to start planting and it's getting "almost too" late to plant.

Love your description of the *clownbird*!

Jennifer said...

So lovely. I birdwatch here in the Midwest, but love to see the selection from around the country. Years ago I visited Seattle and saw the Stellar's Jay for the first time. It was the high-light of my trip! Your cats are so cute.