Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Turtles Return

 I finally got around to putting buttons on a couple of February stitches.

"Old Man Winter" now has a Bluebird to keep him company.

The three square red buttons fill in the gaps on "Gingham Hearts".

I mentioned I recently bought a new (refurbished) camera with an 80x zoom lens. 

The lens allowed me to snap this Western Pond Turtle without having to get close enough to disturb him.

I'm pretty pleased with the clarity as you can even see his reflection in the pond.

Do you think he might be smiling?
I've not seen any turtles all Winter, so I was glad to find a couple basking on a log.

Western Pond Turtles are listed as Listed as "critical" on the Oregon's sensitive species list. They have disappeared from many parts of their previous range, so it's nice we have a couple nearby.  





11 comments:

Vickie said...

I like the turtle shots Beth. =)

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I've just been catching up with your recent posts as we've been away from home since Sunday. I enjoyed your flower photos and the new stitch border is very pretty.

Margaret said...

Love the turtle!! We have various turtles around here since we live close to a small lake. Love turtles! :D Your camera is great!

cucki said...

Aww cute fellow and sweet stitching x

Giovanna said...

Pretty finishes! And great shots of the turtle.

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

I love the stitching with the buttons! Cute pictures of the turtle.

Pam in IL said...

Now that you have the buttons on, what will you finish those pieces as?

Love seeing the turtles! Looks like the 80x zoom works great. Do you have to use a tripod with such a long zoom?

Barb said...

The buttons look so cute on the projects. I do love the turtle shots. We are taking a digital photography class. They were talking about lenses last evening, more to come on that subject.

Mii Stitch said...

Great turtle pictures!!!

Melanie said...

I always love looking for turtles on my walks. Though if that's the closest they can look to being happy, that's still pretty grumpy looking. lol

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

Beautiful pictures with your new camera and zoom lens, Beth. I appreciated seeing the pond turtle, and getting a little introduction to him--I've never seen them before, and had no idea we had turtles here. I have a neighbor whose mom in California had turtles in her garden, and they ate slugs, so that was good.