Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Gardening Overtakes Stitching

Another delightful border.  This is "March's Daffodil" from a Cottage Garden Sampling.  I like all the shamrock motifs and the vine-wrapped birdhouse. I've spent more time gardening than stitching as of late...

As part of the Tuesday Garden Party at an Oregon Cottage, I'll tell you why.

First off the Eugene Garden Club held a plant sale as a fundraiser.
As you can see from the sign above, it is an old and honored club.
Dodecatheon herdersonii -Shooting Stars
There were several different vendors, but I was most taken with the items Doak's Creek Native Plant Nursery brought to the sale.

Fritillaria affinis - Checker Lily

Trillium ovatum

Erythronium oregonium - Giant Fawn Lily (Lamb's Tongue)

Lilium columbianum - Tiger Lily

I brought home a sampling of some of the native plants.

I also brought home some sedums.

Here's my April Surprise!
I looked in my little lean-to greenhouse and discovered that not only had this auricula successfully over-wintered, it was blooming its little heart out!

I've put a cage around my Trillium 'Volcano' so the deer don't munch it.
Isn't the color stunning?

With sunshine and temperatures of 72F this past weekend, I had to be outside! I've set out all the agaves as well as the agastaches and salvias.  I think I will end up with an over 90% retention rate.  I was lazy this winter and did not cover up plants or move them into the garage when the temperatures dipped below 25F, but everything seems to have survived.

Next up set out the begonias and the fuchsias before the rain returns on Thursday.  Happy Gardening! 


10 comments:

Barb said...

Your WIP looks great I look forward to seeing more of it. The flowers are pretty.

cucki said...

Sweet wip..
Have a fun day x

Giovanna said...

Nice new start! Enjoy your gardening, lots of lovely plants there.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

It's good to do what you enjoy when the weather allows. I missed your post yesterday with the gorgeous photos of the muscari, they're so very bonnie - they must be extra special to see in person.

Margaret said...

I don't blame you for letting gardening take over with those temps. And such beautiful plants too!

Barb said...

"Volcano " is beautiful! What a wonderful plant sale!

daisy g said...

Love that you're using natives. We do that too. Congrats on welcoming spring!

Maggee said...

You are going to have a lovely garden again this year! I planted a row of radishes yesterday evening and Monday evening some organic peas. It's a start. Plus I stuck a bunch or orts in the fence for the birds... Gotta go check that! Hugs!

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

What a fun plant sale, Beth, and your overwintered plants look fantastic. I pulled the fuschias and pelargonium I had in the garage all winter out over the weekend, and they all survived just fine with minimal lighting in the garage. I'll use them in my hanging baskets and containers later in the spring.

Pam in IL said...

If we had temps that allowed gardening, I'd give up some stitching time for gardening too!