Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tiny Hearts Tiny Bird

I may grouse about stitching 'over one' upon occasion, but I do enjoy working on gingham 'over one'.  I found "Gingham Hearts" in my stash and as you can see I'm tootling right along.  

On Saturday this female Anna's Hummingbird patiently posed for photos. 

She let me get quite close and kindly showed off her left profile...

...and her right.

Back side...

...and front side. 
When the light shines just right she does have a small red patch on her throat.

Ummm... Is she sticking out her tongue at me?

She ruffled the feathers on the top of her head.
(See back side photo for a better look).

But mostly she calmly waited while I took photo after photo.

9 comments:

carol fun said...

I love those Twisted Threads samplers on the gingham fabric. I don't know that I have this heart one - gotta check the stash. Years ago Ruth Sparrow who designs these pieces had a shop here in Cincinnati --it was my favorite shop of all time. Too bad it closed. I miss it!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Those beaks are amazing when you see them up close.

Pam in IL said...

How nice of her to pose for you! It's wonderful to see such detail close up.

Can't wait to see your Gingham Hearts finished.

Margaret said...

I love your stitching, so small and delicate! And the hummingbird -- so cool! I love hummingbirds!

cucki said...

Sweet stitching ..
I love hummingbird so much x

Barb said...

The Gingham Hearts will be so pretty. Your hummingbird photos are amazing!! Love the close ups!

Cricket-bug Corner said...

lovely pictures - what a nice bird to sit so still!! Love your project!

Chris said...

Lovely stitching start. That hummingbird is amazing. She really was ready for her photoshoot :)

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

What fantastic hummingbird pictures you got, Beth! That is a goal of mine for this year is to try to get some good hummer shots.