Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Final Hooray to Valentine's Day

Design - "Be Mine Valentine"
Designer - Ewe & Eye & Friends
Fabric - 32 count Flax Belfast linen
Fibers - GAST - 1 strand over 2 threads
Started - 26 February 2013
Completed - 27 February 2013

A funky color for a heart - this used GAST's "Hyacinth".  I like it.

I thought I'd have one last Valentine "Hooray".

This candid shot is for my maternal grandparents whose marriage I celebrated in a blog post back on February 14th.  I love their body language.  She has her hand on his leg, and he has his arm around her shoulder.  They face the world as one unit - united.  After 60 years of marriage they are very much a team.  

And now let's return to the world of plants.  
I admire the artistic nature of the plantings at NW Garden Nursery.

This area is bursting with a colorful range of Hellebores.

Here's a close-up of one that looks almost like apple blossoms.

The earliest of Spring bulbs are used to great effect.  This is Winter Aconite (Eranthis).

A variety of Iris reticulata

Cyclamen

Snowdrops (Galanthus)

More Iris reticulata

This rose was covered in hips.

The distinctive spotted leaves of Arum italicum.
This Snowdrop look-alike, is a larger bulb commonly called Spring Snowflake (Leucojum vernum).
Oh I do love blue.  This tiny Siberian Squill (Scilla) is just precious.

7 comments:

Giovanna said...

Love the heart in that pretty purple. And the hellebores are just stunning. Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures.

Margaret said...

You're so right about your grandparents' body language. So wonderful! Such beautiful plants as well! Spring spring -- can't wait!

Beertje Zonn said...

Lovely heart!

Sonnja

cucki said...

Sweet hearts x

Mouse said...

ooo cute heart ... lovely photo of your grandparents too , you are right in what you say :)
gorgeous spring flowers and love the blues and purples too :) love mouse xxxxx

Barb said...

I have those little iris blooming in my yard along with some daffodils. I don't think I have ever had daffodils blooming in Feb. before. I love the hellebores!

Melanie said...

Such a wonderful pic of your grandparents. My husband's grandparents were like that. It's was wonderful to have conversations with them because they would speak for each other, each one completing the others thoughts, etc. like their own shorthand language.