Friday, September 7, 2012

Animals Everywhere


I'm not sure if this gets classified as the last stitch of August's "Dealer's Choice - Hodgepodge" or the first stitch for September's "The Garden".  It's called "The Rabbit Alphabet" by JBW Designs - I'm stitching it in blue rather than the called for red, because blue is 'my thing'. 

Are you ready for some pictures?
I have some interesting animal shots to share.

My aunt and uncle live several miles out of town in a Douglas Fir forested acreage.
This Barred Owl is a regular daytime visitor.

The owl hunts the small birds and squirrels that use the bird-feeders.
Apparently the owl can hunt aquatic creatures too!

I mentioned that we bought a Trail Camera in mid-July.
We just download the August Action - here are the best shots.

On the right behind the yellow stake, near the tree trunk, is a covey of Quail. 

Next to the stake, a Brown Bunny.

At 8:54pm the Bobcat strolled by!

The Bobcat visits in the morning too - here it is at 9:22am.
Click on the picture to see the beautiful striping on the inside of the legs. 

As my Grandfather might have said, "Everyone has to eat".  I think the Bobcat is having quail for breakfast.

This is our BIG surprise.  A Mama Black Bear!

I'm reasonably certain it was a Mama bear, as a few minutes later this cub strolled by.  According the the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife there are between 25,000 and 30,000 black bears.  They are good swimmers and climbers.  They prefer to live forests, trails and streams. At home throughout Oregon, black bears are omnivorous and have a diverse diet which includes berries, fruit, grasses and plants. Although they will consume small mammals, insects and amphibians, these bears are not usually active predators.  Good to know.

10 comments:

Gabi said...

Wow, your aunt and uncle living at a beautiful spot of land to be able to see such beautiful wild life. Just WOW. That cat is a beauty. And the bears are great too.
Love also your upcoming new project. What a lovely color for it.

Starry-eyed stitcher said...

Good grief! I am pleased to see a robin in my garden! Irene xxx

cucki said...

wow such a lovely place..i love it so much..bears are so cute too..
sweet stitching xxx

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I am so impressed with your trail camera images. The bobcat was enough of a "wow" and then came the mother and baby bear. The bobcat markings are just gorgeous.

Unknown said...

You got your bear picture!! That will be a major keepsake. The bobcat pix are really cool too.

I love the JBW design, and the floss you chose is gorgeous!

Cath said...

Wow , great pics. I love the owl.

Fab chart choice ,looking forward to seeing it done in the blue .X

Pam in IL said...

Bobcats, black bears, bunnies and quail all sharing your "backyard"?

We have bobcats around here and I've actually encountered a couple on the hiking trail.

Your camera really captures some nice pics.

Can't wait to see your stitching of The Rabbit Sampler.

Grit said...

Wow, bear in the garden...
The Rabbit Sampler will look nice in blue. Blue is my favorit color , too.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Annette-California said...

Oh My Word!!!What a fantastic camera you and your husband bought and worth every penny. AMAZING photos. I like your new project:)
love Annette

Melanie said...

WOW!!! I can't believe some of the shots you got with that camera. Very cool!!!!