Friday, August 31, 2012

Hodgepodge Coming to a Close

Design - "Old Friends"
Designer - The Goode Huswife
Fabric - 30 count R & R Light Espresso
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - August 2012
Completed - 20 August 2012

I must say that was one BIG rug to cross stitch!  The cats approve of the finish and I'm happy to have stitched another of the Goode Huswife's cat series.  With one more day life of my "Dealer's Choice - Hodgepodge" I'm in a dither.  Do I start another random project, or kit up my first September project?  What to do?  

I spent Tuesday afternoon on the back patio at my aunt's home.

She had Nuthatches coming to her feeders.  I like how they are able to walk down fir trees. 

She also had a couple of Douglas' Squirrels (Tamiasciurus douglasii) pigging out at her bird feeders.  Douglas' Squirrels have a wide-ranging diet. In spring, they eat the developing shoots and pollen cones of Douglas-fir. Later in the year they eat green vegetation, fruits, insects, fungi, berries, and seeds of both conifers and deciduous trees, such as big leaf maple.

Back at home I watched a group of swallows 'mob' this hawk until they drove him away.  Kind of a David and Goliath story! 

We've also seen a couple of Grouse. This female appears to be nesting right along the edge of our driveway in a blackberry thicket. 

7 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I would most definitely go for a September stitch - I look forward to seeing your choice.

CalamityJr said...

I'd have to say that if there's a random chart calling your name, then go ahead and get it started. If something with the September topic seems more intriguing, then a head start is in order. Follow your heart!

Mouse said...

ooo decisions, decisions hopefully by the time you see this you would have made your choice ...lol .... well done on your finish and that squirrel is gorgeous :) love mouse xxxx

Margaret said...

I love this piece -- so cute!

Barb said...

Super job on that big rug!! A very cute finish! As usual, I live to see your nature pictures!

Carol said...

That has to be one of my favorite finishes of yours this whole year, Beth! It turned out so cute!!

What will September bring? Looking forward to finding out :)

Melanie said...

Super great finish!!! It's too stinking cute. :)