Friday, July 13, 2012

The Quarry Pond

Here's the latest item I'm working on.  It's by Heart in Hand and is called "Olde Glory."  I'm missing the charm that goes with it, oh well.

So I've been trying to learn more about the native plants in my area as well as the birds.  What's up next?   

Maybe I'll become an amateur odonatologist and study dragonflies and damselflies.  Before he retired, the author, Steve Gordon, and I rode the same bus home from work in the evening. He is a true renaissance man -  
an amazing birder, woodcarver, and all around knowledgeable guy.  I've had this book for about 5 years now, but never really ever used it.  I got it out yesterday to look at once again.  Why you ask?
I went to look at the Quarry Pond on a hot summer's afternoon earlier this week.

Someone watched me as I watched...

the damselflies and dragonflies...

I was hoping I'd be able to identify them... 

...but that was not to be. None of the photos in the book were clear matches, darn it! 

This guy says their names don't matter.  He's not interested in the fact that dragonflies have been around for more than 300 million years - longer than birds or dinosaurs.  He just knows they are 'good eating'!  Rib-bet!

5 comments:

Denise said...

Great to see a real frog going rib-bet instead of one of our frogs telling you to rip-it...out.

Love your newest stitch!

Patty C. said...

Nice WIP ;)

Anonymous said...

Lovely project.
I love your insect and frog photos.

Barb said...

I do like your new project. I love dragonflies. I think the colors are so interesting!

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Love all the summer like stitching going on at your place!! The pictures are so pretty!! My frog looks like he is enjoying himself! lol