Wednesday, July 18, 2012

July Stitching and Walking

Isn't this a unique and interesting stitch?  I've kitted it up as my next patriotic stitch - cannot wait to begin!

We've had a warm July so far, though the last couple of days have been a bit cooler.  Today is cool and damp.  I don't think we will melt in the rain, so let's take a walk!   

There is a reason to wait until mid-morning to walk.  Many of the wildflowers, like this Centaury sleep in and are are still closed up in the first light of day.

Here's a picture of Common Centaury (Centaurium umbellatum) later in the day.  The plant likes moist wastelands, meadows, and swales.  Ours are growing in open, dry meadows. 

The Elegant Brodiaea (Brodiaea elegans) has such a pretty flower.  I found three or so just along the edge of our driveway.  The leaves wither before the plant blooms, so it appears to have just one thin stem when in bloom.

Blackberry blossoms - aren't they pretty?  I say this even though I trip over the vines and the thorns pierce my shins and the cuts then itch!
I thought this cluster of Oaks leaves a lovely composition in green.

I am terrible at identifying aquatic plants.  The Quarry Pond is a tiny sea of white blooms right now. 
I continue to be excited when I'm able to get the take on a new plant.  This is Lewis's Mock Orange (Philadelphus lewisii).  The shrubs grow from 3'-9' this one was good sized.  It likes moist woods or coniferous forests.  Look at its Latin name - this plant was first collected by Meriweather Lewis (of the Lewis & Clark Expedition fame) in 1806.

Growing along with the Mock Orange was a nice group of Ocean Spray (Holodiscus discolor).  Again this was growing along the fringe of the forest.

July is thistle time! Canada Thistle (Cirsium arvense) is a native of southeastern Eurasia that immigrated to North America in the early 1700's, probably as a contaminant of crop seed. It spread so rapidly that legislation requiring landowners to control Canada thistle was drafted in Vermont in 1795, with similar legislation enacted by other states at later dates - and still it thrives in disturbed soils.  The Goldfinches have been waiting for the Canada Thistle to begin to bloom.   They'll feather their nests with the seed, as well as consume them. 

I am always amused that when we have an abundance of bunnies hopping around, the Rabbit's Foot Clover (Trifolium arvense) is also at its peak.  It likes sandy soil of waste places and that's where it is in this photo.  Right along the driveway across from our house.

There is a vibrant yellow wild pea in full bloom now. Next year I should count the many different kinds of wild peas - I bet we have over a dozen.   

\
Here's a story...I noticed this tree / shrub last year and wasn't able to identify it.  This year I saw it again, researched it and figured it out.  I showed the plant to my mother while we were in the car together and she said, "That's an Elderberry they grow everywhere along the coast." Argghh!
Well it is a Blue Elderberry (Sambucus nigra Subsp. cerulea) if we are getting technical (and we are).  This native plant grows in mixed conifer forests, forest-steppe transitions and open talus slopes.

That's it for our walk today - I hope you enjoyed it.    

10 comments:

Vickie said...

Well, we have had a SCORCHING July! Yucko! I love that pattern. :)

Ann at Beadlework. said...

It's always a pleasure and an education Beth.

blue star stitcher said...

I just finished stitching this one, it was my 4th of July piece for this year. I hope you enjoy stitching it as much as I did. It's such a lovely patriotic design.

Unknown said...

Loved the pictures, and I do agree, that is a very nifty July design to stitch!

Denise said...

Your stitch will be a great one - just finished it myself and enjoyed every little x.

When I look outside I see brown...everything. :( Glad you have some color!

Mindi said...

Very nice choice for your next patriotic stitch.

Barb said...

I do love that patriotic design. It will be fun to see it stitched up. Thanks again for the beautiful walk and all that great information.

Bev C said...

Hello Beth,

Thanks for sharing your blooms. The wood fire is going here.

happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Lois said...

What a fun stitch and I very much enjoyed the walk!

Pam in IL said...

Beautiful flowers - as usual! Thanks for taking us with you on your walk.

I love your new project and the floss colors. Do you have a LNS near you or do you have all your supplies already in your stash?

You're so organized with your monthly themes and the projects you stitch up! You always get them stitched up so fast too.

Can't wait to see your next finish!