Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wednesday Wildflower Walk

I'm making good progress on "Bee Ye Humble".
I should have a finish to show off in the next couple of days.

This is our first walk in the month of June.
Come take a stroll with me on a Wildflower Walk. 

I'm cheating a bit as this is an older photo.  Our hard rains have been tough on the Elegant Cat's Ears (Calochortus elegans) - they look a bit battered now. 

I can't get enough of their form and structure.

Looking closely, I found a few solitary Blue Oregon Iris (Iris tenax).

The Cow's Parsnip (Heracleum maximum) has created swathes of white along the banks of the Big Creek.

Large Leaved Avens (Geum macrophyllum) are growing profusely in the damp shade.

I've decided not to obsess with identifying each plant, but to enjoy and share the photos.  This is some kind of wild pea - that much I do know!

June is "Mallow Time"  - this is Oregon Checkermallow (Sidalcea oregana).

This is Rose Checkermallow (Sidalcea malviflora ssp virgata).  The two kinds of Mallow were growing side-by-side

June means Roses - our wild rose is the Nootka Rose (Rosa Nutkana).  

Happily growing in the damp, dark shade is a group of Creeping Buttercups (Ranunculus repens).

The Common Camas (Cammassia quamash) are finishing up.

Another shot of one of our Nootka Roses.

Siberian Miner's Lettuce (Claytonia sibirica) continues to bloom.

The blooms on the Thimbleberries (Rubus parviflorus) have lasted and lasted and lasted!  This year I'm going to see the berries or know the reason why!

Let's take a break - we'll resume our Wildflower Walk tomorrow.

4 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I love the names of some of these wild flowers as well as how they look.

MoonBeam said...

Thanks for the lovely walk. I thought Thimbleberries was just quilt fabric. I hope you do get a photo of them!

Bobbi

Barb said...

I love see the wild flowers. If the snow ever melts up on Rainier, I hope to get up there to see the wild flowers!

Pam in IL said...

Thanks so much for sharing your pics from the wildflower walk. It's almost like being there! How wonderful that you have such a lovely piece of paradise to enjoy every day.