Saturday, February 18, 2012

Organizing and Birding

I'm very fortunate to have a large room dedicated to my hobbies.

But even then, things can get really out of control!

Since I'm trying to stitch thematically month-by-month this year, I decided it was time to organize my charts.

Believe it or not, these photos represent the beginning of some semblance of organization - Patriotic, Noah's Ark, Spring/Easter, Chickens, Valentines, Gardening, Crows/Blackbirds, Halloween, Autumn, Thanksgiving, Snowmen, Christmas...

The weather was not wonderful for the first day of the Great Backyard Bird Count.  I enumerated most of my species in the 7-8am hour.
Here's the report I sent in:
      
      Count     Species
------------------------------------------
  • 13 California Quail            
  • 01 Red-tailed Hawk           
  • 25 Mourning Doves              
  • 08 Steller's Jays                   
  • 02 Western Scrub-Jays          
  • 03 Black-capped Chickadee s 
  • 02 American Robins              
  • 05 European Starlings           
  • 02 Spotted Towhees             
  • 06 Dark-eyed Juncos (Oregon)
  • 08 House Finchs                  
  • 06 Pine Siskins                    
 I was disappointed not to see any Hummingbirds or Woodpeckers to add to the report.  I still have Saturday and Sunday.  We'll see what today brings.  I was pleased to read in my comments that a couple of Followers have decided to participate in the Bird Count.  I hope they enjoy it. 

Here's a Sign of Spring - Violets!

An In-Town friend picked this small posy.
Oh, the smell! 

6 comments:

Denise said...

I"m overwhelmed at the number of patterns you had laying out! Wow! Can't wait to watch you stitch this year.

Violets - I'm still a month away from flowers here in Ohio. Give them a good sniff for me.

Barb said...

You have given yourself a big job. I did something like that last summer. It is worth the effort. I wish I could send you a few woodpeckers. We think it is the suet that has drawn them to our feeder. Have a great week-end.

carol fun said...

I just saw a little quip on another blog that said "you don't know what you have until you clean your room" -- soooo true. Good luck withe bird count!

Unknown said...

Good luck with your counting and organizing. I am with you on the organizing front - been working on it for the last 4 - 5 weekends.

Nicola said...

It is amazing how quickly charts build up, stashaholism is very contagious.

Melanie said...

Good luck with your organizing!! I can never find another way of doing it vs. just grouping it by designer.