Monday, June 14, 2010

Chickens and More Chickens


Back on April 28th I posted about a friend who had just bought four baby chicks.  She just sent me a photo of her girls - formerly named for the characters in "Little Women", now renamed from left to right:
 Grace Slick, Alice Waters, Julia Child, and Lily Marlene.
Unfortunately Julia turned out to be Julio, and no roosters allowed in the city limits, so Julio has moved to the country. 
  

In honor of the clucks, I've kitted up "Wee Chicken" by Heart in Hand.  This should be fun!

On the gardening front, I am most discouraged.  It is only mid-June, and a deer has discovered my front porch plants.  Despite applications of deer repellent, she is munching on coleus, and hostas, and fuchsias, and most anything else she can reach. I am bummed.  I haven't decided how to combat yet - fencing - a motion detector...that's gardening in the country I guess.    

5 comments:

Sweet Sue said...

Sorry about your pretty plants, know how bummed you feel, happens here too. After finding my pots toppled and dirt strewn everywhere, I rarely spend time gardening. Many wild animals here, not to mention the neighbor's farm animals that get loose and create a panic everywhere. I just gave up and stitch more...

Susan said...

Those animals can be so frustrating! We've got rabbits. Ugh. Hope you find a way to keep them out in the future!

Meadowsweet Cottage said...

It's no fun to nurture your garden, only to have the critters visit.

The chicken stitchery is darling, btw.

Melinda said...

Love the chicken's names! I'm so sorry about your plants - those deer can be such a nuisance! I've given up on hostas - they eat it like salad bar!

Jami@ An Oregon Cottage said...

My mom had brazen deer that come almost right up to where you are standing! I kid you not- the only way she can get anything to grow is one of those water shooting motion detectors. They don't work 100% of the time, but probably about 90% so she gets her flowers.

Thanks for joining the Tuesday Garden Party!